Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Frogs Calling Again

Spring is here!…again! For me spring is signaled by the calls of spring peepers, wood frogs, chorus frogs, and other amphibians. So, as far as I’m concerned, spring started during a cold, rainy night in February this year, but then a cold spell silenced the frogs for about a week and a half. But I’m glad to report that they’re croaking again, and a few more species, such as American toads, are beginning to call in some areas. If you follow the sound of spring peepers to they’re source, you might even be treated to seeing some of our salamanders breeding in temporary pools of water called vernal pools. It’s an exciting time for amphibians. There are adults, egg masses, and tadpoles everywhere!
P.S. This is my first post, so I apologize for any formatting issues. Thank you to Ryan Ankeny for inviting me!


Hyla crucifer (spring peeper)
Spring peepers in a breeding pond

Anaxyrus americanus (American toad) calling
American toad calling

Notophthalmus viridescens (eastern newt)
Aquatic adult of the eastern newt

1 comments:

Karen Bonsell said...

Hey Travis, nice post! Thank you for clearing up the Spring Peeper thing for me. I have seen them referred to, but never really knew what they were! Now I know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis


 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons