Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cedar Grove Commercial Park

I went on a Beckham Bird Club field trip this week to Cedar Grove Commercial Park in Shepherdsville, KY. It was led by our own Ryan Ankeny!

It was a good trip, and we saw several different species of birds. Although, Ryan said that when he usually leads this field trip during the month of march, it is much cooler and they usually see more of the wintering birds. I suppose a lot of them may have left a little early to head back north.

I got to see my very first Savannah Sparrows!

Savannah Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow

There were lots of Killdeer running around. I just happened to catch this one in flight.

Killdeer
Killdeer

A lot of trees are in bloom! I don't know what type this one is, but I thought it was so pretty!

Purple flowered tree


This Brown Thrasher is the first one I have seen this season. He just popped in long enough for me to capture a sketchy picture, but I had to include it! I love their eyes!

Brown Thrasher trying to hide
Brown Thrasher

Song Sparrows aplenty, they are always fun to see and hear!

Song Sparrow
Song Sparrow

This next photo of a Field Sparrow is my favorite! I think they are so cute with their little pink beaks!

Field Sparrow
Field Sparrow

These were the only birds I got decent pictures of, but we also saw, Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Eastern Bluebirds and White-Crowned Sparrows, just to name a few. All in all a good birding trip!

I also wanted to mention that our (Louisville's) male Osprey arrived to the nest on Shippingport Island around last Saturday. It seemed like he took a few days to recuperate from his long trip from South America, but I stopped by this morning and saw him carrying a few sticks to the nest. The female Osprey should be arriving any time. Last year she arrived approximately two weeks after the male.

Osprey
Osprey

I would also like to give you an update on the Lake Barkley Osprey Cam sponsered by KEEP. Since my blog entry last week, the male Osprey arrived and they have been busy tidying up the nest, and were even observed mating. Once they lay an egg, the cam will be real time video, with sound! I'm really looking forward to watching them throughout the season. It will give me a glimpse of what may be happpening in our Osprey nest!

Last but not least, I want to update everyone on the Bald Eagle nest on Shippingport Island. Several times that I have been there to check on them, I have observed the mate nearby, and watched them exchange places at the nest. This is very good news, since the last two years, their attempts at nesting were unsuccessful, mainly because Papa Eagle wasn't around enough, and Mama Eagle had to leave the nest to search for food! I have heard that sometimes it takes years for Eagles to "get the hang" of nesting. Everyone keep your fingers crossed, but we just might get to have a family this year! I'll keep you updated!

Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle

2 comments:

Mia McPherson said...

Karen, congrats on seeing your first Savannah Sparrows, I think they are beautiful! It looks like Cedar Grove Commercial Park is a great place to see & photograph birds.

Karen Bonsell said...

Thanks Mia! It is a good place, I'll be checking it out again sometime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis


 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons