Saturday, March 19, 2011

Butterflies, Frogs, and Swallows

I think spring has officially arrived. I saw several signs this week to persuade me of this fact. I saw my first butterflies of spring, several Eastern Commas, flying around a wet woodland. This butterfly belongs to the "Anglewings" group because of the jagged outline of the wings. This butterfly gets its peculiar name because of the comma shaped marking on the underside of its wing.

Eastern Comma

Another sign of spring came Thursday when two new voices were added to the frog chorus. I have been hearing Chorus Frogs singing for a couple weeks now, their song sounds similar to the sound made by running your finger along a fine-toothed comb. This week I heard Southern Leopard Frogs as well as a few Green Frogs.  Click on the links to hear their calls.

The Red-winged Blackbirds have been around for a few weeks but have really stepped up their singing in the past few days.  This call was one of four birds displaying back and forth, trying to establish a territory.  The first part of the Red-winged Blackbird's song is used to attract females and the end of the song is an advertising to nearby males that this territory is taken. Check out this site to hear their songs and calls.

Red-winged Blackbird

And finally, yesterday I saw my first swallow of the year, a Tree Swallow!  Always exciting to see these guys come back because they are just the beginning of a wave of warblers, thrushes, and sandpipers.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis


 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons