Saturday, February 4, 2012

White-crowned Sparrows

It seems I am seeing more White-crowned Sparrows in the last few years than I have in the past.  Not sure why, maybe I'm just visiting the right habitats for them.  What's different is that they have been groups of juvenile birds like the birds below.  The juvenile White-crowned Sparrows lack the namesake white and instead sport a  brown crown, kind of making them resemble Chipping Sparrows.  I've seen them in groups from 6 all the way up to 50!  That's a lot for a sparrow species.

White-crowned Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

The bird below is and adult and shows the white crown which gives the bird its name.  When identifying these birds look to make sure they don't have a white throat and yellow on the lores.  That would make them the very similar White-throated Sparrow instead.

White-crowned Sparrow

1 comments:

Mia McPherson said...

A very informative post Ryan. I'm seeing about the normal amount of White-crowned Sparrows that I see this time of year in Utah, but I do feel like I am seeing more juveniles than I have the past two winters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis


 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons