Saturday, February 19, 2011

Great Backyard Bird Count

The Great Backyard Bird Count started Thursday and today was my first day participating.  I headed back out to Miles Park around noon to see what was around.  The answer: not much.  We checked out the field areas first and around the fishing ponds and the predominate bird was Song Sparrow.  Actually come to think of it, every bird was a Song Sparrow.  Maybe a Blue Jay or two were flying overhead, but other than that not much else.  I had my camera with me but couldn't manage to get any shots of the Song Sparrows even though they were everywhere.

Blue Jay

We moved on to the trail that runs along Floyd's Fork.  The birding there was better, but nothing spectacular.  There were plenty of common woodland birds singing and flying about.  Mostly Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, and various woodpeckers.  A single Belted Kingfisher was flying back and forth over the fork.  I was hoping for some Wood Ducks since I saw a pair yesterday at another location, but no luck.  There was a single Canada Goose floating around the canoe launch area.  Usually these are one of my least favorite birds, but it was quite beautiful to watch the goose paddle around by itself though the reflections of the sycamores.  Maybe it was beautiful because the bird was in a natural setting and not standing in the mall parking lot as they are so often found.

Canada Goose

Here is the full list form the day.  Like I said, not much.  I should have made it out earlier and I'm sure there would have been more to see.  I was hoping to get some more pics and at this time of the year it is tough to do that unless you have the sun high in the sky.  Oh well.  Better luck tomorrow.

    Canada Goose - 3
    Turkey Vulture - 4
    Red-tailed Hawk - 2
    Mourning Dove - 4
    Belted Kingfisher - 1
    Red-bellied Woodpecker - 4
    Downy Woodpecker - 3
    Blue Jay - 6
    American Crow - 6
    Carolina Chickadee - 8
    Tufted Titmouse - 13
    White-breasted Nuthatch - 5
    Northern Mockingbird - 1
    Song Sparrow - 12
    White-throated Sparrow - 2
    Dark-eyed Junco - 12
    Northern Cardinal - 2

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis


 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons